This past 2020 was a year unlike any other. Although we faced many hurdles as a collective, we were able to pull through together and are going into 2021 stronger than ever before!
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, Egale's projects went virtual. This allowed us to open new doors to more communities across Canada by connecting in the digital world. Even though we're busy kicking off exciting projects for 2021, we wanted to share a few of our biggest highlights of 2020.
- The year kicked off with our National Action Plan in January, addressing areas of concern and improvements for the broader LGBTQI2S community.
- As Canada went into lockdown in March, we released our Queerantine 101: COVID-19 Resources. We created a hub to help get the community through the challenges of the pandemic.
- In May, we launched Rainbow Table, our first-ever LIVE mini web series produced to connect older LGBTQI2S adults across the country who may have experienced heightened levels of social isolation due to COVID-19.
- With Pride Month looking different than previous years, our Pride Inside Guide was launched in June to help celebrate in a virtual way!
- August saw the release of our groundbreaking Second National Report on the Impacts of COVID-19 for the LGBTQI2S Community. Most significantly, this study found that Black and racialized LGBTQI2S people are the MOST impacted during these unprecedented times. (See here for the first National Survey Results)
- For National Coming Out Day in October, we launched our #ComingOutLoud campaign - where we gave three people across Canada the opportunity to come out in a bold and unforgettable way - on billboards!
- To close this unprecedented year, the element of home was truly emulated with the official opening of the Friends of Ruby Home (formerly Egale Centre) and our #HomeNotAlone Holiday Campaign
We are incredibly thankful to our donors, partners, volunteers, and YOU - the community, for joining us this past year. In difficult times like this, the community really shone through. We look forward to working alongside you all in 2021!
Looking to get involved in the community as part of your New Years' 2021 goals? Visit our 'Get Involved' page via the button below.
Helen Kennedy, Executive Director